Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Odell's Sandwich Shop

WARNING: What you are about to see will make you HUNGRY! Read at your own risk, because if you aren't near Mount Airy, you will be tempted to make the trip here for this food!

Odell's Sandwich Shop is located in Mount Airy, North Carolina, at the crossroads of North/South Franklin and West Pine Street (Highway 89). This original sandwich shop is still going strong after many years (at least 50, I think), and has outlasted many other dining establishments in Mount Airy.
This is one of those drive-up-and-order-from-your-car restaurants, and there are plenty of menus scattered around the parking lot, with the old-fashioned speakers so you can order from your vehicle. They are open Monday - Saturday from 9am - 9pm and closed on Sunday. If you ask anyone in town about this place, most everyone will know a person who has worked here at some point in their lives. Also, this used to be a well-known cruising and hang-out spot in the 1960s!

You can tell this is a great place to eat, because there are ALWAYS cars there, no matter what time of day, even if it's in between the typical lunch and dinner times. One tip I have for you is to call in your order, or you will have to wait for it to be prepared, but remember, "Good food takes time to prepare. Please be patient", as it is written on every single menu!

Odell's serves a wide variety of food, as you can see by the menu below. Click on the pictures to make them larger!


If you can't read the above menu, here is a basic list of what they have:
  • BIG MOE - this is Odell's Version of the Big Mac, except much, much better! You get two patties of ground beef, melted cheese, mayo, shredded lettuce, tomato, pickles, and SPECIAL SAUCE on a triple-decker bun. This sandwich is the one you must try - you cannot eat at Odell's without ordering a Big Moe! The price is very reasonable at only $2.50, and you can make it into a "basket" for only seventy-five cents more! The basket includes fries, tater tots, potato wedges, hushpuppies, or onion rings - your choice!

As you can see in the picture, I chose tater tots for my Big Moe Basket, and I think this was a GREAT deal for only $3.25! This is the real value menu - the entire Odell's menu! There is no item on the whole menu over $5.75!
The cross section picture of the Big Moe shows the deliciousness, and just looking at it makes me want to eat one right now:
Just look at that burger! This is way better than the chain restaurant version - and once you eat it, you will be hooked, like more than half of the people in this town!


Odell's has several platter options, such as the Hamburger Steak Plate, Chicken Tender Plate, Flounder Plate, Fantail Shrimp, a Seafood Plate (flounder, shrimp, crabcake), Chopped or Sliced BBQ plate, Popcorn Shrimp, Ground Steak Plate, and a Stew Beef Plate. They also have an excellent Chef Salad, avaliable in a small and large version.

Sandwiches vary from the typical (yet delicious!) hot dog, hoagie (ham, shredded lettuce, melted cheese, bacon, and tomato) flounder hoagie, chuckwagon, BLT, pimento cheese, pork chop, stew beef sandwich, and of course, the hamburger/cheeseburger. The hamburger can be ordered with a variety of toppings, but in my opinion, the best way to order it is with chili and slaw!
Check out the toasted bun and delicious layer of slaw soaking into the bun! The slaw and chili is also delicious on the pork chop sandwiches and the hot dogs! Try a hot dog basket - you get TWO hot dogs and your choice of side item for only $3.15.

One of my favorite Odell's Sandwiches is one I have been ordering since I was a little girl: THE HAWAIIAN. This is a perfect combination of a sweet pineapple slice, salty bacon, mayo, and cheese, served on a toasted bun. This is a great addition to your meal at only $1.95, and sure to please any kid or adult!

Again, notice the delicious toasted bun! You might be thinking, "Pineapple and CHEESE? That sounds horrible!" and most people think the same thing, but only until they try this sandwich! It's the perfect flavor combination!

Odell's also has their own BBQ, and I've never tried a BBQ platter, but the chopped BBQ sandwich is delicious! I detected a tiny hint of spice in the meat, and it went really well with the sweet coleslaw. The BBQ sandwich is only $2.00, making it a very popular choice. Remember, make it a basket for only $0.75 more! If you add a drink to that, you are still paying much less than you would pay at any fast-food restaurant!

Finally, I would like to say that although I have never tried any of the Odell's desserts, I have heard wonderful reviews about their milkshakes! We always order way too much food and know ahead of time we would have no room for dessert. Perhaps one day I will go there JUST for dessert, but it is hard to resist that Big Moe Burger, which is easily one of the best burgers I've ever eaten!

What is your favorite Odell's menu item? Do you have any memories of going to Odell's? Did you once work there? Please comment with your favorites and memories of this delicious restaurant! Don't forget: Call ahead for quicker service!

5 comments:

  1. Oh MY GOSH. I wish Darren would go get me. Odell's had the best food and I haven't ate there in forever. I love the Dog Basket Best. YUMMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to order THE HAWAIIAN next time I go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! I'm glad I influenced your decision! I am a complete pig, so I always order the Hawaiian on the side with whatever other sandwich I'm eating & I always eat it first! :) We could go pick up Odell's food one Saturday and take it to the park!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love odell's! I live near west va now but I still make trips down to Mt airy just for this food. I am so glad I'm not the only one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love odell's! I live near west va now but I still make trips down to Mt airy just for this food. I am so glad I'm not the only one!!

    ReplyDelete